
Ain't gonna lie -- it was the first time I've ever gone to something like that. I've sampled food from malls to grocery stores but never on a food event -- a big one at that. I gotta give props to Our Awesome Planet for making that event possible last May 14.
I actually got the invitation via facebook about a week or so, prior to the event. Took me a while to think about whether I'd attend or not. In the end, I bit the bullet and payed 230 Pesos for the reservation/contribution fee -- slots were limited to 1,000 and I somehow made it to the list. That was my ultimate food trip, to say the least.
D-day came. I brought my appetite with me like I was going to battle of sorts -- armed with just a bottle of mineral water(!) and a pen. Got to the NBC tent just in time for the registration. I didn't mind the long line as long as I was gonna have some grub there. Even before reaching the registration table at the lobby, I was able to sample an Ampalaya tea drink. Not sure, if it was a good idea having one with an empty stomach but I had some anyway.
After confirming my slot, I got a grading sheet (it also has the floor plan of the food stalls there) and a makeshift box made out of cardboard (I think). Then, it was time to eat. Bring on the food!
The tent was actually big. I forgot to mention that it was also my first in the venue. I've heard of the place many times but never had a chance to go there -- not anymore. As soon as I got inside, I was trying to figure out which stall to check out first. I didn't look at the floor plan -- I simply went to the nearest stall as my starting point.
One thing I noticed is that the stalls of different course were all mixed up. I couldn't tell which one served the appetizers, the main courses and desserts. It was really confusing. Oh, I forgot to mention I didn't take pictures there. Didn't bring a camera even if I did, it'd be useless. My hands were full -- literally. That's why I made a mistake not bringing a bag with me that night.
All in all, the food was great. I managed to cover roughly about 50-60% of the food stalls but I didn't get to try the "Crave Burger". The stalls that served different sausages and liempo were my favorites. The congee I tried there took a toll on me -- I'm serious!. The small serving of that stuff (the congee) filled my tummy up quickly. That's the reason why I waved the flag before the night ended. Soon after turning in my grading sheet, I ended my night with a nice bottle of beer. How cool is that?
With my first ever food event in the books, I look forward to the next one in August. Maybe by then, I'll be able to try out all the food including that "Crave Burger", which I heard was good (I see you, Philip). I have a lot to learn about being a foodie. I must say, this is just the beginning and I'm up for the challenge.


0 comments:
Post a Comment